The hall council is composed of residents wanting to take on an active role in the Akwe:kon community. Council members convene on a weekly basis and discuss programming ideas for the house, focusing on community development and inclusion.
Ongwe Hall Events
Spring 2014 Activities:
- Super Bowl Party! - a civil gathering of football fans and spectators were brought to order for Super Bowl XLVII. the ultimate battle between the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos was viewed on the large screen in the Akwe:kon Community Room. Great pizza and wings were served and enjoyed throughout the game.
- Be My Valentine - Celebrating Valentine's Day and Healthy Relationships: residents were invited to make personal valentines and participate in parfait-making.
- Yogurt Parfait Study Break
- Neon Mania Party - An unforgettable night full of black-lights, fluorescent paints, EXCELLENT music and food. This first annual Ongwe sponsored event was held in the completely transformed Akwe:kon Community Room. Ongwe's goal for this event was to invite students from ALL parts of campus, with the intention of promoting and encouraging students to learn more about Akwe:kon and the American Indian Program communities.
Fall 2013 Activities:
- Compliments Day: Council members wrote compliments on post-it-notes and distributed them to all residents of the house to promote appreciation for others, focusing on specific gifts and /or contributions to the greater community.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Party: residents and guests participated in making pink cupcakes and additional scrumptious desserts to promote breast cancer awareness. Council members Laura Lagunez taught Zumba to residents during the event.
- Dia De Los Muertos Event: In collaboration with students from the Latino Living Center (LLC), attendees enjoyed a presentation about the origins of Dia De Los Muertos, traditional food prepared by Akwe:kon residents, face painting, and an alter building.
- Monthly Bake, Game, Zumba Nights - Akwe:kon residents and guests congregated every 3rd Friday night of the month in the Akwe:kon Community Room to participate in multiple events such as Zumba, board games, and baking delicious treats.
- Karaoke Night: Residents and friends who stayed in Ithaca during Thanksgiving Break gathered together in the Akwe:kon Community Room and showed off their vocal skills and performed in front of supportive peers.
- Akwe:kon Sunday Brunch: Ongwe members invited past Akwe:kon resident assistants to the house to share what their current roles are within the Cornell and Ithaca community after having left their roles as Resident Advisors at Akwe:kon. Council members prepared brunch for residents and guests.
- Sabor Latino Concert /Waffle Frolic Night: Ongwe council members and residents went out to support Cornell's Latin American dance ensemble at State Theatre in the The Commons. Afterwards, a trip to Waffle Frolic was in order to celebrate with friends and Sabor Latino dancers.
- A Very Grinchy Holiday Party: A fun night full of Zumba, a friendly game of Apples to Apples, and a Secret Santa gift exchange that was optional for residents, but had almost 100% resident participation.